Not just science, but medical research
- Presidential hopeful Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) said she would reverse Bush’s financial restriction on embryonic stem cell research
- Clinton also said she would “shield science from politics,” and lift federal limits on stem cell research
- (As of right now, the federal government finances only cell lines that were already in use in 2001, when Bush signed the restriction.)
So what does this mean?
- Embryonic stem cell research allows scientists to discover what happens during the developmental stages of human life
- This research is useful for testing new drugs and understanding why patients get various cancers, as well as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases
- If we understand why people get these diseases, stem cell research could help find a cure